Why Our Pub is Great
The Fickle Mermaid is a memorable name inspired by the myth of the mermaid’s pool on the side of Kinder Scout. Legend has it that long ago, a beautiful mermaid used to lure men to her mysterious pool and either make them immortal or end their lives. Come to our pub, pull up a pew, and one of our locals may well tell you the tale over a pint of real ale and a plate of superb pub food. Sit indoors or out in the beer garden; as we are right on the doorstep of the Peak District, the views are stunning and the country air wonderfully fresh and invigorating.
We have a real log fire, which gives the dining room a wonderful glow in winter. Charming vintage touches give us the look and feel of an archetypal country pub. Friendly staff and delicious food.
The pub menu has a perfect balance of traditional and modern meals. Rotisserie chicken is seasoned by hand every day and gently roasted to achieve that magically delicious combination of tenderness and crispiness. You’ll find plenty more besides chicken on the menu, and our children’s menu has pared down versions of the rotisserie chicken dishes, plus classic dinners.
Our Pub Facilities
Kids Play Area
Safety is our Priority
Caring for our People Makes Sense
- Looking after our teams means they can look after you.
- This starts with providing our already fantastic teams with additional training to follow safe COVID-19 working procedures and regulations.
- Each day team members will complete a health screening questionnaire to confirm they are in good health prior to beginning work.
- We ask that you do your bit and respect our teams and any requests they have. It’s all with your safety in mind.
Keeping Social, whilst Social Distancing Makes Sense
Look out for additional signage in pub to establish safe, social distancing
This might include:
- Highlighting where and how you order at the bar
- Removing some tables to ensure comfortable social distancing can be maintained
- Managing capacity, meaning you may be asked to queue outside
Caring for you, your friends and family Makes Sense
- Hand sanitiser is available to use at every entrance for your peace of mind.
- Once inside we’re taking as many steps as possible to reduce contact
- Our menus will be used only once and are fully recyclable once you’ve finished with it
About Our Food
Dishes are always freshly prepared using quality ingredients; like our Red Tractor farm-assured chicken, our responsibly-fished cod and haddock and the langoustine tails in our golden Whitby scampi that are fished in UK waters.
Book a table for a special occasion, or call in for a week day treat. Our pub is suitable for every occasion when you can be sure you’ll have the best pies, burgers, steaks and curries as well as our signature rotisserie chicken on offer. You’ll also find exclusive dishes created by our chefs in our annual Chef of the Year competition.View our Menus